- The Blackening 2, the sequel to the hit horror film, is now in development with the same group of characters returning and new characters expected to join.
- The original film was a microbudget feature that achieved major box office success and received positive reviews for its satirical and comedic approach to horror tropes.
- With its encouraging reception, The Blackening has the potential to become an ongoing series if the sequel can continue its success.
The Blackening, which became an unexpected 2023 horror hit, is now getting a sequel. The slasher movie is directed by Tim Story and features an ensemble cast of Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, X Mayo, and Dewayne Perkins. The movie’s plot tells the story of a group of friends whose weekend getaway trip goes awry when they end up trapped in their cabin while a serial killer plans for vengeance.
According to Variety, a sequel to The Blackening is now in development. The Blackening 2 will be produced by MRC and Lionsgate, and Perkins and Tracy Oliver will return as writers. According to Oliver, The Blackening 2 is described to be Knives Out-esque in that it will take on a new mystery. Read her full quote below:
“Same group, sprinkle in some new people. I feel like we’ve got something good, and I love the dynamic, but fresh blood always turns things up a little bit.”
Why The Blackening 2 Has Potential After The Original’s Surprising Box Office Earnings?
Other than a tease from Oliver, no plot information has been detailed about The Blackening 2. However, it is revealed that the same group will return since most of the characters survived the killing spree at the end of The Blackening. New characters are also expected, although there are no further details about who will join the survivors.
The Blackening 2 announcement comes after the original movie’s major box office success this past summer. The horror movie is considered a microbudget feature since the budget was just $5 million. Following its wide release in June, it collected $18 million at the worldwide box office, making it a horror hit. In addition, The Blackening also received positive reviews from critics, holding an 87% critical score on Rotten Tomatoes. The praises included the movie’s satirical nature of horror tropes and its comedic spin on stereotypical elements.
As a result of the encouraging reception from critics and audiences, The Blackening has a good chance of becoming an ongoing series if it can continue to build on the original’s success. The Blackening 2 is only in its early development, but hopefully, Oliver, Perkins, and the rest of the team will reveal more details for the sequel in the future.
- Release Date:
- Tim Story
- Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, X Mayo, Dewayne Perkins, Antoinette Robertson, Sinqua Walls, Jay Pharoah, Yvonne Orji
- 96 Minutes
- Comedy, Horror
- Tracy Oliver, Dewayne Perkins
- MRC Film, Catchlight Studios, The Story Company