- James Cameron provides an update on Avatar 3, revealing that they are currently in the post-production stage and aiming for a December 2025 release.
- The release date for Avatar 3 has been shifted multiple times due to various reasons, including the COVID-19 pandemic, but Cameron is now confident about the December 2025 release.
- While the story details for Avatar 3 are yet to be confirmed, there are hints that the conflict between the Na’vi and the RDA will escalate.
James Cameron gives an encouraging update regarding Avatar 3. Starting off in 2009, Cameron’s epic science fiction film series has grown to become one of the most popular film franchises in the world, with the series’ first installment currently sitting as the second-highest-grossing movie of all time. The highly anticipated Avatar 3 will serve as the next entry in James Cameron’s five-movie franchise set in the fictional world of Pandora, following the Na’vi heroes who come across a fire Na’vi tribe known as the Ash People.
Cameron, sat with local television and film producers at an industry conference on 1News in New Zealand to discuss everything from his inspirations to the forthcoming Avatar 3.
Speaking about the third installment in the Avatar film series, Cameron revealed that they’re in the post-production stage of developing the movie, explaining that “We’re into a very hectic two years of post-production right now, so it’ll be Christmas of 25.”
What Else Do We Know About Avatar 3?
As James Cameron confirmed that Avatar 3 was in the works years ago, the movie’s proposed release date has been subject to numerous shifts. According to Cameron himself, the new Avatar movie was scheduled to be released back in 2015, however, for a number of reasons, the release date was shifted to 2016, 2017, and then 2018. In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic halted proceedings and the release date had to be moved once again. In total, the film’s theatrical release has been moved nine different times. However, with Cameron confirming that the movie is expected in December 2025.
As of the time of writing, there hasn’t been any confirmation regarding the story details for Avatar 3. However, the ending of Avatar: The Way of Water hints at possible storylines that could be explored. For one, it is likely that the conflict between the Na’vi and the RDA will escalate as the RDA are looking to expand on Pandora and make it more habitable for more human beings. Also, Landau, the producer responsible for producing the Avatar movies, has confirmed that Avatar 3 will be narrated by Lo’ak, one of Jake’s sons, instead of Jake, who had previously done the narration.
As regards the cast of Avatar 3, Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldaña will be returning as Jake and Neytiri, respectively. Also, Sigourney Weaver, Britain Dalton, Trinity Jo-Li Bliss who play Kiri, Lo’ak, and Tuk, Jake and Neytiri’s remaining children, are also expected to feature once again alongside Jack Champion as Spider. Other names who have been confirmed to join the aforementioned names include Stephen Lang, Kate Winslet, David Thewlis, and Michelle Yeoh.
- Release Date:
- James Cameron
- Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Sam Worthington, Stephen Lang
- Josh Friedman, James Cameron
- Avatar 3 is the third entry in James Cameron’s five-movie franchise set in the fictional world of Pandora. Following Jake Sully and Neytiri’s first encounter in 2009’s Avatar and Colonel Miles Quaritch’s retaliation in 2022’s The Way of Water, Avatar 3 sees the Na’vi heroes come across a fire Na’vi tribe known as the Ash People.
- 20th Century
- 20th Century
- Avatar, Avatar: The Way of Water