- Austin Butler and Tom Hardy’s upcoming movie, “The Bikeriders,” can be considered the prequel to “Sons of Anarchy” that was never made.
- “The Bikeriders” will take place in 1960s Chicago and follow the rise of the motorcycle club the Vandals and their involvement in sinister activities.
- Both “Sons of Anarchy” and “The Bikeriders” explore how motorcycle clubs deviate from their original vision, resulting in serious consequences for the clubs.
Although Sons of Anarchy came to an end nine years ago, Austin Butler and Tom Hardy’s upcoming movie The Bikeriders will be the Sons of Anarchy prequel that was never made. Created by Kurt Sutter, Sons of Anarchy debuted on FX in 2008 and came to an end in 2014 after seven seasons full of action, drama, and betrayals. Sons of Anarchy took the audience to the fictional town of Charming, California, to meet the title motorcycle club, led by President Clay Morrow (Ron Perlman) and VP Jackson “Jax” Teller (Charlie Hunnam), who was also the son of one of the club’s founding members.
Over the course of seven seasons, Sons of Anarchy followed Jax’s journey from VP and heir to SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original) to President of the club and his fall from grace, while also exploring other issues related to the club. The universe of Sons of Anarchy expanded with the spinoff series Mayans M.C., though it focused on the title club rather than on SAMCRO, and a prequel series was teased but never happened – however, The Bikeriders can serve as the prequel to Sons of Anarchy that was never made.
The Bikeriders Can Be The Prequel Sons of Anarchy Never Got
Directed by Jeff Nichols and based on the 1967 photo-book of the same name by Danny Lyon, The Bikeriders will take the audience back to 1960s Chicago to meet the motorcycle club the Vandals. The Bikeriders chronicles the rise of the club, founded by Johnny (Tom Hardy), and its evolution over the course of a decade, going from a place for local outsiders to getting involved in more sinister activities, which ultimately threaten the club’s lifestyle. Austin Butler plays Benny, a young member of the club who forms a strong bond with Johnny.
The similarities between Sons of Anarchy and The Bikeriders (as known through the trailers) go beyond both focusing on motorcycle clubs. It’s known that SAMCRO was founded by John “JT” Teller and Piermont “Piney” Winston (fathers of Jax and Opie Winston, respectively) in 1967 after their return from the Vietnam War. The purpose of the club was to rediscover the feeling of brotherhood they found in Vietnam and provide a safe space for those who faced discrimination and economic hardship after returning from the war. The club took over an automotive repair and garage business, which JT ran with Clay, but with time, SAMCRO got involved in the black market, mostly smuggling contraband goods.
After JT’s death in an accident, Clay took over SAMCRO as President, and under his lead, the club began trafficking weapons, and though they continued to protect the people of Charming, the club also became a menace. The Vandals MC in The Bikeriders follows a similar fate, with Jodie Comer’s Kathy explaining in the trailers that the club started to get involved in drug dealing, gambling, and prostitution. Both SAMCRO and Vandals heavily deviated from their original vision, bringing serious consequences for the clubs. Although unrelated, The Bikeriders can give the audience a look at what JT and Piney surely dealt with during the first years of SAMCRO.
Why Sons of Anarchy’s Prequel Series Never Happened
A prequel TV series to Sons of Anarchy was teased by Sutter in 2014, sharing in a live Q&A session (via Nerdcore Movement) prior to the release of the series’ final season that his plan was to make a prequel series focused on the first members of the club. Known as the “First 9”, the series would have been “10 episodes or two eight-episode seasons” and would have ended with JT starting to write the manuscript that Jax finds at the beginning of Sons of Anarchy. However, after problems between Sutter and Disney in 2019, Sutter said that First 9 didn’t “look that hopeful” as the studio owns Sons of Anarchy (via Deadline). It’s unlikely First 9 will happen now, but The Bikeriders can easily fill that void.
Sources: Nerdcore Movement, Deadline.
Sons of Anarchy
- Release Date:
- Kim Coates, Charlie Hunnam, Theo Rossi, Mark Boone Junior, Maggie Siff, Katey Sagal, Tommy Flanagan, Ron Perlman
- Crime, Drama, Thriller
- Sons of Anarchy, created by Kurt Sutter, follows a notorious outlaw motorcycle club, the Sons of Anarchy, as they confront drug dealers, corporate developers, and law enforcement to protect their livelihoods and their hometown of Charming, CA. Loosely based on William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” Sons of Anarchy explores what happens when the seduction of money and power comes between family. The show follows the Teller and Morrow family legacies, with Jackson ‘Jax’ Teller handling his duties as the V.P. of the club while dealing with the new president – his stepfather – Clay Morrow.
- Story By:
- Kurt Sutter
- Kurt Sutter, Chris Collins
- Streaming Service:
- Sons Of Anarchy
- Kurt Sutter
- Kurt Sutter